The primary aim of the Senior Visual Arts Programme is to enhance and develop artistic skills, with a focus on tertiary education in a specialized field that will lead to a career in one of the many facets of the vast and ever expanding art and design world.
The interlinked Visual Culture studies will develop an understanding and appreciation of aesthetic principles, extending and enhancing their knowledge of the role of Visual Arts through different times and cultures both within Africa and globally, applying this knowledge to contemporary times and South Africa’s position in the global market.
Visual Arts and Culture students will develop their ability to think laterally, developing competencies in creative problem solving, communication and time management as well as technical skills and processes.
Through our innovative syllabus pupils are given the freedom to explore a wide range of media and techniques, allowing them to develop as individuals; all must develop their drawing skills to a high degree.
- The pupil must be creative with an ability to think laterally
- The pupil must be self-motivated
- Must have an ability to draw
- A positive, disciplined attitude
- An ability to meet deadlines
- An ability to maintain consistent effort
- An above average ability in English
- Computer literacy is desirable
Some of the most popular
- Fine Art, a B.A. or B.Tech – this leads to specialized fields in the commercial world or a purely artistic career.
- The Fine arts graduate can specialize as an Art Historian, gallery curator, arts journalist or teacher/lecturer.
- Art Therapist – working in conjunction with a psychologist or authodidactician.
- B.A. in Brand Communication or Graphic Design – there are many specialized field within this career from layout artist, illustrator, web designer, animation, cartooning, brand manager, art director and copywriting among others.
- B.A. in Architecture
- Textile design
- Fashion design and Costume design
- Jewellery design
- Interior Design and Store Planning
- Photography and Video Technology
- Furniture design
- Industrial design (products e.g. Motorcars, household appliances, robotics)
- Set design for stage and screen
- Film producer